11.20.2008

Feeling islolated!

(Sunday, 11/16/08 7:32pm)
Yes, this is two entries in one day. I lied, I am bored. I’m too nervous to unpack my clothes until I get my immigration card. It’s so great out here, the people are so wonderful, and there is so much potential in this city, I feel like it’s almost too good to be true. It just seems like that’s the last shoe that has to drop before I can relax. Until then, I’m pawing through my luggage to find clothes to steam or iron. Until then, I’m sitting around by myself in my apartment with nobody to talk to, nothing to watch except the few movies on my computer I’ve already seen. Until then, I feel very cut off from the world around me, since I can’t read Korean and can’t find a PC bang to use the ‘net. My coworkers in the building next-door aren’t home and seem to have been gone all day, so I can’t use their computer or ask for their help with my international phone card (it doesn’t make sense!).

Sigh. It’s just that it’s too early to go to bed; if I go to bed now I’ll wake up really early and I’ll be really tired while I’m at work tomorrow evening (I work from 11am until 7pm). I went to church today with another coworker of mine, and she took me to an English service. Afterwards, everyone was invited across the street to a fellowship gathering where they had a bunch of East-meets-West Thanksgiving food (a bit early, though, right?). I met a girl from Kazakhstan who said their Thanksgiving Day is today, she’s studying at the University. The pastor and his wife insisted that their son guide me home on the bus since they know where I teach and they live nearby, so I took the city bus with two 14-year-olds back to my neighborhood.

I’m just dying to talk to someone I know. I wish I knew my own address; I’d start writing letters to people! I wish I could relax and tell myself this is for real. I guess I’ll know in a week or so.

No comments: