4.11.2008

those loose li'l ends

firstly, i'd like to spend a moment recounting the things i've done lately that have been impressively proactive and productive....

-i filled out the paperwork and purchased the money orders necessary for payment and SENT my taxes this evening

-yesterday i went to the post office and took the photographs, submitted the application, my birth certificate, and the fees for my very own passport (which i have been meaning to get for AGES)

-i've studied for at LEAST four hours every day since last saturday. sometimes i can't focus, but overall i am positively astounded at the progress i've made through the book and practice tests, especially considering the vast majority of it is review. i've been going to the university science library, which helps so much because it is prime study location and it's quiet and often deserted. even on the days i can't focus well (like yesterday), i still manage to plow through a chunk of material. i always feel so good when i'm walking to my car after a long bout with the books. the book i'm studying from is also very interesting and engaging (not written like a textbook) despite its numerous, careless typos. i find them just distracting enough to be annoyed by them, but not enough to do anything about it.

-i've been packing. a little here and there. i sold some old video cassettes and books i didn't want, making space for myself. dishes and decorations and knick knacks. eyeballing what could be packed next and poising them mentally for the moment this test malarkey is over with.

-i gave yoshi a bath and a haircut today. he is so patient and tolerant. i trimmed lots around his face, including the little red tear-stained crusties and his eyebrows, and he didn't fight me at all. he did NOT enjoy having the dreadlocks around his sensitive little bum and inner-thighs trimmed, but i coaxed him the whole time and it was ultimately successful. now he's so shiny and soft! i doubt he'll have a bath while i'm away. maybe they'll trim his nails? anyway, it's nice to have that intimate moment with my dog before i head off.

-i vacuumed up a TON of bird feathers from around my parakeets' cage today. they've been busily preening themselves for a couple days, and when i got a good look at them today they look pretty scraggly with all of their pinfeathers coming in! it's very cute. i think they'll help each other get those sheaths off their heads, at least.

-last weekend i purchased a few camping things including hiking shoes, a dual-ended knife, and a first-aid kit. i'm feeling well-stocked up and more confident that this will go smoothly.


tomorrow is my last day to study before my GRE. i have taken care to keep the day free of any responsibilities besides studying and practice test questions. i think i might ride my bike to campus and hang out in the library all day and read. it's worked for me so far, i don't see why i couldn't keep it up. i plan to head there in the morning and just start cracking.

for the amount of stuff i'm trying to keep straight in my head, i am quite pleased that i haven't let it stress me out (not very much, anyway). i just keep reminding myself that i am totally in love with biology, and this is a great opportunity to refresh myself with all these important concepts. moving out of my apartment in tucson and storing my stuff at my grandma's house in phoenix is going to take careful organizing and planning, but it's awesome because it's free storage and i just have to rent the truck to haul it all. my family's helping me out, too, and that means a lot.

this is in two weeks! i'm going to be "dumping" my stuff off in phoenix and then i'm off for twelve weeks perusing forests for flowers!

it's late and i have no reason to stay up any longer...

No comments: