4.26.2010

When I do what I do

I'm approaching that time when I should be picking up momentum and closing up shop around here. I should be, anyway. Among the long list of things I have to complete before I can bow out are shipping several parcels of things back to Phoenix, coping somehow with my tax extension request, purchasing plane tickets to Thailand and around various parts within the country, preparing at least somewhat to take the general GRE when I come back to Arizona, cleaning and packing my apartment (beyond what was originally provided me), and spending quality time with my dearest friends to whom I will have to bid fond farewells.

Let's add to that the obvious responsibilities of my job, which is the whole reason I'm here. We can also mention taekwondo training, since I am merely days from becoming a fully-registered and qualified black belt. I plan to devote another month to training, but not two. It's just so demanding of my spare time, and I need all the time I can get to wrap up all the aforementioned details. And being part of a dance troupe means that I must rehearse with them regularly, practice at home, memorize choreographies, and sew new costumes for a very important show in early June. These things keep me extremely busy and distracted from the fact that I am not going to be here forever. That this is it. Life will change completely. Fear and anxiety would surely ensue if I were to bend my mind around The Uncertain Future, which I can hardly control from here.

I like the idea of living in the moment. I am impressed with my ability to do so, and I'm proud to say I am doing so.

I even found a nice little romantic character for my last few chapters in Korea. It's a funny place that I find myself; I really really like him but I can't keep him, so I am just living it up now. I'm being the most honest and straightforward I have ever been romantically (and I am almost always completely candid), and I have expressed my interest directly without [hopefully] coming across as infatuated or obsessed. It's just so much fun and there's nothing to lose, so I'm throwing caution to the wind and enjoying myself.

Of course, to be fair, this character has only just been introduced a few pages ago. Deep feelings of any sort are not yet involved, and anything could happen from here. I can only speak for myself when I pronounce that this will be fun and easy and lighthearted and easy to break away from. But even on my own behalf, that may likely not be the case.

My students are so wonderful, too. It's going to be very hard to say goodbye to their sweet faces and their loving spirits. I just adore my friends and my favorite coworkers and the springtime here (even though it comes in spurts). I do have an amplified sense of affection for everything now that it feels much more fleeting.

I wish this winter weather would go, however. Being cold is tiresome. Having bronchitis for 3 weeks is also boring and frustrating and limiting. Not getting to take a single day off to rest my vocal chords means I just keep working them raw every day and my condition fluctuates between severe and moderate. It will take so long to recover. Not my favorite thing about my bosses or the job.

I'm wasting precious time that I should be using to prepare for my next class. Adieu.

No comments: